zoom features

From: Joseph Brenner
Subject: zoom features
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 22:01:05 -0800

I put aside my own custom zoom.el package (never quite finished, and
thus never released) to try to use the feature built into Gnu emacs
these days: "text-scale-adjust", which is bound by default to: "C-x
C--". and "C-x C-+" (and also the unshifted "C-x C-=").

In some ways I find it works pretty well, but in a few respects is
disappointing:

(1) As you zoom in it does not automatically increase the size of the
window, so you have fewer columns displayed.

(2) when I try to re-size the window (for example, to try to maintain a
fixed display of 80 columns), my window manager (icewm) tells me the
wrong effective window width.

(3) text-scale-adjust only effects the current window, but if you need
to increase the size of text in one window, it's likely you're going to
want it in all of them (at least in the current frame).

Are there any standard fixes for these problems kicking around?