Re: zoom features

From: Joseph Brenner
Subject: Re: zoom features
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 17:00:37 -0800

Joseph Brenner <doom@kzsu.stanford.edu> writes:

> I put aside my own custom zoom.el package (never quite finished, and
> thus never released) to try to use the feature built into Gnu emacs
> these days: "text-scale-adjust", which is bound by default to: "C-x
> C--". and "C-x C-+" (and also the unshifted "C-x C-=").
>
> In some ways I find it works pretty well, but in a few respects is
> disappointing:
>
> (1) As you zoom in it does not automatically increase the size of the
> window, so you have fewer columns displayed.
>
> (2) when I try to re-size the window (for example, to try to maintain a
> fixed display of 80 columns), my window manager (icewm) tells me the
> wrong effective window width.
>
> (3) text-scale-adjust only effects the current window, but if you need
> to increase the size of text in one window, it's likely you're going to
> want it in all of them (at least in the current frame).
>
> Are there any standard fixes for these problems kicking around?

Drew Adams pointed me at his zoom-frm.el, which does indeed do precisely
what I wanted.

It's up on the emacswiki, along with it's dependencies:

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/frame-frm.el
  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/frame-cmds.el
  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/frame-fns.el