Re: emacs 23.1 font problem

From: Gerhard
Subject: Re: emacs 23.1 font problem
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:00:48 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:

>>> What happens when you start Emacs with
>>>
>>> LC_NUMERIC=C emacs
>>>
>>> ?
>> Everything seems to work fine now, great!
>>
>> Am I right in supposing that this resets locales only for emacs, and
>> that there should be no undesired side-effects elsewhere?
>
> It will affect every program started from within Emacs as well.  I am
> not clear what code is responsible for this: the problem is likely
> because either scanf or printf or its equivalents use "," instead of "."
> in numbers.
>
> Whether this happens inside of Emacs proper or in GTK, I don't know.  In
> general, you rarely want LC_NUMERIC to be different from "C" for
> _anything_.  Programming languages and libraries and utilities break
> because programmers hardly ever expect that the equivalent of
> printf("%4.2f",3.0) would result in "3,00" in foreign locales.
>
> I know that some versions of Ghostscript ceased being able to parse
> numbers in PostScript programs in such locales.
>
> So while the above invocation is just for Emacs and subprocesses, your
> setting of LC_NUMERIC is likely going to cause trouble occasionally also
> elsewhere.

Thank you for these detailed explanations. I will set my LC_NUMERIC to C.

> And why you would want French monetary expressions in a
> German locale also escapes me.

This is what my distro gave me, since I told it when installing that I lived
in France, but still wanted to have a German language environment. These
days, it doesn't seem to matter all that much whether your monetary
expressions are French or German, anyways ...