Commenting out block of code in emacs in python mode

From: alex47387
Subject: Commenting out block of code in emacs in python mode
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 00:35:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I hope I am posting this question in the right forum; otherwise please let
me know.

Here is my problem:
I usually develop python code with emacs, emacs being in python code. On my
desktop a version is installed and/or configured that way, so I easily can
choose a region in the code and simply click on a menu option to comment out
this block of code (i.e. at the begin of each line in the selected code two
'##' are put). That is very convenient.
However, on my Laptop, running F12 and emacs 23.1.1, this menu option is
missing! I searched within google and found the hint that by pressing 'C-c
#' I also can comment out a selected region. But on my emacs it says: 'C-c #
is undefined'. Am I missing something? Anyone any idea how to
fix/install/update/solve this problem, so I can easily choose a couple of
python lines and comment them out?

Thanks
  Alex