Re: Sending mail via SMTP hangs.

From: Torsten Mueller
Subject: Re: Sending mail via SMTP hangs.
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:09:38 +0100

Aidan Gauland <aidalgol@no8wireless.co.nz> schrieb:

>>> (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
>>>       '(("smtp.rurallink.co.nz" 465 nil nil)))
>>
>> This is always suspicious. Are you sure your SMTP server does support
>> TLS? Turn this off at least for the moment to reduce complexity.
>
> I know it supports SSL, as I am using it with Thunderbird over SSL.
>
> I just tried to, in the .authinfo file, and in .emacs (separately,
> not both at once), tell it to use port 25 (so no encryption), but
> Emacs still uses starttls and on port 465.
>
> TLS has been succeeded by SSL, has it not? And isn't GNUTLS
> considered inferior to OpenSSL? (I really don't know, I've just
> heard this around the Internet, but haven't confirmed any of this.)

No, the other way: TLS is the successor of SSL. But many servers do
not support TLS but SSL. In general I would avoid to use any
encryption for the moment. You need a working STMP first. Encryption
is the second step. Try port 25. Modern servers also react on port 587
for normal (but authenticated) SMTP.

> > What happens in the message buffer until you press C-g?
>
> If I just let it run for a while this is shown in the *Messages*
> buffer:
> Opening STARTTLS connection to
> `smtp.rurallink.co.nz:465'...done [several minutes pass]
> smtpmail-send-command: Process SMTP not running

I still think this is TLS related.

T.M.