Re: Gnus slow with IMAP when changing ISP's

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Gnus slow with IMAP when changing ISP's
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:37:00 -0600

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 11:31:28 +0100 Paul R <paul.r.ml@gmail.com> wrote:

Nevo> I think fire a bug doesn't hurt , at least three of us encounter
Nevo> the same problem.

PR> You can count me as well, and count me twice rather than once, because
PR> this bug bites me at least twice a day, and has done so for a year at
PR> least. I just stumbled upon this thread while looking for an alternative
PR> mail client that would let me read my mail after suspend. Yes, I was
PR> about to quit gnus because that was really too much trouble.

PR> Stefan, I read your patch, thank you for trying to make imap.el more
PR> robust about network surprises.

PR> To answer a previous question, I was not able to reproduce this bug with
PR> any other mail client, and can reproduce on demand with gnus.

I put up a request in the emacs-devel list to implement core Emacs
support for TLS.  Emacs itself would be in control of the TLS
connection instead of calling an external process.  I think recovering
from a suspend would be easier then.

Ted