Re: e23 inverse video on mode line and nowhere else

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: e23 inverse video on mode line and nowhere else
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:32:20 +1100

karl@freefriends.org (Karl Berry) writes:

>     When I run emacs in terminals, the mode line is always inverse video
>     but the rest is normal.
>
> Thanks for replying, but this is not even remotely true for me in e23
> (it used to be that way, for sure, for many many years).  Now, I start
> emacs with emacs-23.1 --no-site --no-init in an xterm, and immediately
> observe the *scratch* buffer name is in bold.  (Haven't tried
> tty-suppress-bold-inverse-default-colors yet, but anyway, that's not so
> critical.)
>
> More importantly, then I run M-x grep and do something like
> "grep -nH e /etc/issue", and observe that "/etc/issue:1:" is underlined,
> "matches found" is in bold, etc.
>
> All of these things are what my brain needs to have eliminated :).

Three possible solutions.

1. M-x customize-face will allow you to set the attributes of various
faces. If you have the cursor on one of the faces you want to change
when you run customize-face, it will, by default, allow you to customize
that face. Otherwise, you can ask to customize all faces and they will
be listed in a customize buffer (showing samples for each of the faces).
One of the options is to set a face to inherit its attributes from
another face and then modify it further. This allows you to have a
hierarchy of attributes. So, if you wanted to have a specific face have
no special attributes, you could define it to inherit from the 'default'
face and not set any specific attributes. Doing this will mean that if,
at some later time, you want to modify the default face, all the ones
that inherit from it will also inherit those mods.

2. M-x list-faces-display will bring up a buffer showing all the
currently defined faces. You can then use the mouse or cursor keys to
select a definition for customization.

Using either of the two above techniques, you can change all the
attributes of a face i.e. bold, underline, fg/bg colour, size, font,
etc.

3. Turn off global font lock mode. This will result in most faces just
having the 'default' attributes.

HTH

Tim

--