Re: too many buffers

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: too many buffers
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 22:03:52 +0100

Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> writes:

> andrea wrote:
>>
>> Can I limit the creation of new buffers or maybe I should write some
>> functions that cleans the situation automatically (using ibuffer maybe)?
>
> enable midnight.el to clean up unused buffers.
> e.g.,
> (custom-set-variables '(midnight-delay 7200 t (midnight)))
> in your .emacs will remove old unused buffers at 2 am.

Also, avoid opening many dired buffer:

If you use anything <http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/Anything>

you will find a command named `anything-find-files' (it is new) in
anything-config.el.

With this command you can navigate to a file you want to open without
opening any dired buffers (use `C-z' to expand subdir and `C-.' to went back
one level).

So if you want to navigate to ~/foo/bar/baz/your_file, you will have
only the buffer your_file open.

I use this command as a replacement of standard C-x C-f.

--
Thierry Volpiatto