Ubuntu Karmic : Emacs 23.1.1 regularly hangs for about 6 seconds

From: deech
Subject: Ubuntu Karmic : Emacs 23.1.1 regularly hangs for about 6 seconds
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:50:31 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,
This is the first time I've used Ubuntu's emacs package (I usually
compile my own) and I'm running into a problem where Emacs becomes non-
responsive for about 6 seconds. This seems to happen once every couple
of minutes and I can't tie it to anything I am doing. I tried turning
off auto-save but that didn't work.

I am running an emacs server in a screen session and editing in an X
session using the 'emacsclient -c' command.

Does anyone have any insights on this?

thanks ...
-deech