Re: Getting the "explanation" part of the current error message

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Getting the "explanation" part of the current error message
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 07:00:18 -0700

Nordlöw wrote:
Hi!

I'm looking for a way to take the "explanation" part of a (GCC or
other) compilation info/warning/error message and display it
separately in the minibuffer or as a tooltip near the problem source
code line.

I have looked at the sources simple.el compile.el specifically at
compilation-next-error-function() but I don't find any structure that
contains the (pre-)parsed messages of the compilation-buffer contents.
Does such a structure exists? If so we could extended it with the
"explanation" part and visualize in next-error-hook. If not I guess we
need to use compilation-error-regexp-alist-alist and to separately
parse the compilation-buffer, right?

compilation-error-regexp-alist does not provide a way to extract the
message from the output, it only provides a way to extract the FILE,
LINE, COLUMN, and TYPE.

And compile.el no longer parses the output itself (since 2004-03-11), it
relies on font lock.

I would avoid reparsing the output buffer, and instead rely on the text
properties set by font lock in an advice run after
compilation-next-error-function.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA