Re: fiddling with SGML/HTML mode

From: Tyler Smith
Subject: Re: fiddling with SGML/HTML mode
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 16:04:09 -0500

Eric Abrahamsen <girzel@gmail.com> writes:

> Very briefly: is there a way to convince html-mode that when I use
> sgml-tag to insert a <div> tag, it should give me the option of adding
> a class or id attribute? Can I do this without editing the source
> code?

You can customize Sgml Tag Alist. The syntax is kind of awkward until
you're familiar with skeletons. I've got the following set in my
customize page:

Sgml Tag Alist: Hide Value

<snipped>

INS DEL Cons-cell:
            Tag Name: div
            Tag Rule:
            INS DEL Lisp expression: ("class"
 ("clear")
 ("default"))
            INS DEL Lisp expression:
("id"
 ("wrapper")
 ("article")
 ("content")
 ("nav")
 ("primary")
 ("secondary")
 ("sidebar")
 ("header")
 ("footer-content")
 ("footer-web"))

This change results in my being prompted for attributes when I insert a
div. If I choose class or id, I have tab completion for the values in
the lists.

There are some tags that don't work as expected via the customize
framework. p, h*, ol, and some others are effectively hard-coded. They
appear in html-tag-alist before the sgml-tag-alist gets inserted, so any
customizations are ignored. To get around this I've hard-coded a few
hacks of my own into my .emacs. I've been meaning to look into whether
or not this is worth writing up into a proper patch, but just haven't
had time.

Cheers,

Tyler