Re: Emacs Server via Emacs.app

From: Steve Revilak
Subject: Re: Emacs Server via Emacs.app
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 22:22:14 -0500

From: Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com>

I'd like to get emacs server running again just like we got ispell
working for me again.  I'm not sure what I'm missing this time.  I
started emacs from the command line via `open Emacs.app` and that
worked fine, loading my PATH etc. but now emacsclient can't find the
server.  I typically start the server via `.emacs` and that works on
Windows but not here, apparently.

Tim,

Which emacsclient are you running?

/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient
Should have no difficulty finding the server socket for Emacs.app.

On the other hand, Apple's /usr/bin/emacsclient seems to have a
different opinion of where the server socket should be.

You could
  alias emacsclient=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacsclient

You could also prepend /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin to
PATH, to use Emacs.app's helper programs instead of their
Apple-bundled counterparts.

I personally favor prepending
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin to PATH.  I also add a
one-line shell script to that directory:

  $ cat /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/emacs
  #!/bin/sh
  exec /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -nw "$@"

so that I can run Emacs in a terminal window by just typing `emacs'.
This is my way of compensating for the fact that the NextStep port
doesn't put the Emacs binary in `bin'.

Steve