Re: Why can't I use xargs emacs?

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Why can't I use xargs emacs?
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 13:08:56 +0100

Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2010-02-03, Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
>
>> Adam Funk <a24061@ducksburg.com> writes:
>
>>> Nothing, thanks!  What's the difference between these two?
>>>
>>> emacs -nw `find  . -name '*.txt'`
>>> emacs -nw $(find  . -name '*.txt')
>> Nothing that's the same, i prefer $() than backquote but that just a
>> choice.
>>
>> Though bash was speaking at one time to remove backquote construction or
>> make it obsoléte in future versions.
>>
>> Don't know what they did finally.
>
> Well, I know backquotes still work because I use them in bash scripts
> a lot.  As pointed out elsewhere in the thread, however, $(...) is a
> lot easier to nest.

Here is, what man bash says:

     When the  old-style backquote form of  substitution is used,
     backslash retains  its literal meaning  except when followed
     by  $, `,  or  \.  The  first  backquote not  preceded by  a
     backslash terminates  the command substitution.   When using
     the $(command) form,  all characters between the parentheses
     make up the command; none are treated specially.

     Command substitutions may be nested.  To nest when using the
     backquoted   form,   escape   the  inner   backquotes   with
     backslashes.