Re: Emacs slow away from office

From: jberdine
Subject: Re: Emacs slow away from office
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 13:06:12 +0000

Mark Carter <alt.mcarter@googlemail.com> writes:

> I have a works laptop containing GNU emacs 23.1.1. When I am at the
> office, connected to our office network, emacs works at normal speed.
> When I am at home, emacs takes a long time to load on the same laptop,
> and is often generally unresponsive, with long pauses in its
> operation. This happens consistently on every occasion. All my other
> programs work normally, as expected.
>
> What's going on?

To add to this, I am experiencing what could be the same issue with
23.1.50.1 (running on Windows 7).  For me, the unresponsiveness seems to
be directly related to operations that involve the file system,
visiting, saving, etc.  When out of the office, if I disconnect from all
networks, the delays disappear.

Cheers,  Josh