60 secs logout delay when running emacs: Why ?

From: Gerd Bavendiek
Subject: 60 secs logout delay when running emacs: Why ?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 23:00:21 +0100

Hi,

running Xubuntu Karmic and using Emacs 23.1.50.1, I'm always wondering about a
significant delay after clicking logout. Basically after having
clicked logout 60 secs nothing happens until the session is finally
closed.

If I first close Emacs and then click logout, the session is closed
immediately. So the delay really seems to be linked to emacs. There is
no logout dialog AFAIK. Running emacs without my init-files did not
change anything.

This delay is a bit irritating, but most of the time not a real
problem. It is possible to shorten the delay by "clicking
around". Often switching to the workspace emacs is running in
makes the session terminate immediately. Occasionally clicking around
does not terminate the session and I have to wait 60 secs ...

I straced emacs. I ran dbus-monitor. But no luck ...

I really would appreciate if somebody could push me into the right
direction. Is it a bug, a misconfiguration or works a designed ?

Thanks

Gerd