Re: open file listed in a text file

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: open file listed in a text file
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 01:31:02 -0800

On Thursday 11 February 2010 01:21 AM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
On Thursday 11 February 2010 12:04 AM, Chitlesh Goorah wrote:
On Feb 10, 12:01 am, Suvayu Ali<fatkasuvayu+li...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't understand your problem, I just tried the same thing with a
custom environment variable, and it worked.

`M-! file $ROOTSYS/build/version_number RET'

returns,

/home/suvayu/root/build/version_number: ASCII text

`M-x ffap' prompts me for,

Find file or URL: ~/root/build/version_number

What I want is that when the cursor is on the path of a file (in a
file), I would like to open that particular file with a keyboard
shortcut.

I did the exact same thing! I put this `$ROOTSYS/build/version_number'
in the *scratch* buffer and executed `M-x ffap'. I mention this in my

I think what Andreas mentioned in a previous post is of importance. Emacs is not understanding that ${var} or $(var) or $var are the same thing. I repeated my experiment again, I noticed `M-x ffap' works only when I use the $var construct in the buffer. Maybe you can write a function that translates your preferred construct to $var and calls ffap with that modified string?

I hope this helps.
--
Suvayu