Re: dired without -l, wdired fails

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: dired without -l, wdired fails
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 17:17:58 +1100

Andreas Roehler <andreas.roehler@online.de> writes:

> Tassilo Horn wrote:
>> Andreas Roehler <andreas.roehler@online.de> writes:
>>

> IIRC `dired' basically displays the output of
> shell-command `ls [options]' in a buffer, afterwards working
> with, send it back to the shell.
>
> From this I never understood this limitation, which looks
> inconvenient in many respects.

Noting of course taht there is also a lisp version of 'ls', which
provides this functionality on non-unix like platforms and provides some
additional functionality on platforms that do have a shell based 'ls'.

My guess is that by forcing the -l switch, you get a fairly standard and
easy to parse output, making the code easier to maintain. Without -l,
you have to have more code to handle the parsing of the output and
possibly even more problematic, more code to handle the display and
movement within that display etc.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au