From: Yannick Duchêne
Subject: Loading of compressed ELisp files
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:04:49 +0100

Hi once again,

Section 15.1 of the Emacs Lisp reference (“ 15.1 How Programs Do Loading ”), states that
It looks for compressed versions by appending each of the suffixes in
jka-compr-load-suffixes to the file name. The value of this variable
must be a list of strings. Its standard value is (".gz").
It seems to work this way indeed, except for the lisp/international subdirectory. If files in this directory are gzip compressed, then Emacs fails to launch.

As I'm beginning with Emacs, I can't assert it's not the expected behavior, so I just leave a message here for interested parties.

Happy editing

--
No-no, this isn't an oops ...or I hope (TM) - Don't blame me... I'm just not lucky