Re: How does M-x completion works

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: How does M-x completion works
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 08:24:13 +1100

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

> Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) wrote:
>> Le Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:18:05 +0100, Andreas Röhler
>> <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> a écrit:
>>> Than it's pretty probable it consults the tags-table. You have delete
>>> it from there.
>> Yes, I have no tags file (you've mint I've deleted it), then so, which
>> list does Emacs use in such circumstance ? An internal list shipped
>> inside of Emacs, isn't it ? (I suppose)
>>

> Rather not.
>
> Hhm, you said you've done search already. If not, I'd recommend a
> M-y grep-find
> find . -type f -name "*.el" -print0 | xargs -0 -e grep -nH -e "allout"
>
> But you said, it's done.
>
> Did you restart Emacs after deletions?
>
> Start emacs -Q
>
> Then it should be gone.
> Afterwards load your .emacs step by step and see, if its loaded again.
>
> HTH

If the OP is talking about M-x <tab> without having entered any text at
all, the completions buffer will be large because essentially, it will
list *all* possible commands that emacs knows about which can be entered
interactively i.e via M-x

The problem here is that this is a poor use of completion . You need to
give it a chance and enter at least a letter to narrow down the search
for possible completions.

Trying to remove all definitions of interactive functions that are
thought to be unnecessary will fail and is a pointless exercise. It will
never result in a small/convenient number of commands being shown with
just M-x <tab>. I'd suspect that even just the C built-in commands alone
would likely be too numerous and you cannot remove them. This approach
is essentially futile.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au