Re: "emacs -nw" in putty, the utf8 chinese file is unreadable code

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: "emacs -nw" in putty, the utf8 chinese file is unreadable code
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 22:47:28 +0000

Lennart Borgman wrote:
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Colin S. Miller

Thanks, yes I saw that. What I meant was that Emacs also handles X-Windows.
Hmm?
I know that the *NIX version of Emacs uses XWindows,
and the MS-Windows native can (probably) support it
as well.

However, I was assuming that
1) the OP was sitting in front of an MS-Windows box.
2) He was wanting to run Emacs on a remote *NIX box.
   Why he was wanting to run Emacs on the *NIX box
   not the local box was not for me to ask; perhaps
   the remote box has access to resources that the
   MS-Windows box hadn't.

3) He implied that the remote emacs was running in console-mode.

4) He stated that he was ssh'ing into the *NIX box, and
   running emacs there.

Given these, using X-Windows as the display transport
(as long as a CJK(V) font was available to X) would
probably improve his experience.

(Ed I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm talking about you, in front of you)

Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.