font-lock-keywords and lines containing comments / quotes

From: Erik Iverson
Subject: font-lock-keywords and lines containing comments / quotes
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 19:57:45 -0600

Hello,

I am trying to learn things about font-lock-mode, and am needing help understanding the following behavior. To see what I am confused about, create a buffer in emacs-lisp mode (or just use *scratch*) and define the following:

;; syntax highlight lines that start with a "*" in the current buffer
(font-lock-add-keywords nil
                        '(("^\\*\\{1\\}.*" . font-lock-keyword-face)))

Now, with the above defined, paste (or type out to see the effect in action) the following lines starting with * in the same buffer, which will demonstrate what I would like to achieve, and what is going wrong...

* this is highlighted, great!
* so is this, until I type a ; comment
* similiar here, until I type a "quote"

As soon as I type the ; or " characters, the previous part of the line becomes "normal" and the comment or quote appears as it should. I would like for the initial part of the line to remain highlighted though.

Obviously I am missing something simple(?) here, but I am having a hard time figuring out how the typical major-modes (e.g., emacs-lisp) handle this case. Any hints?

Hopefully this was clear! I am using Emacs 23 under Linux.

Best Regards,
Erik Iverson