Re: Arabic font for gnu emacs

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Arabic font for gnu emacs
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:36:24 +0100

Am 27.02.2010 um 05:01 schrieb Jason Rumney:

GNU Emacs is primarily an editor for programming languages. These are
usually based on Latin scripts. And for legibility reasons the fonts
used are mono-spaced, i.e., the characters on the (text) lines are
lined up in fixed columns.

Emacs has supported proportionally spaced fonts since 21.1, and non-
Latin languages since 20.1, so neither of these is the source of any
problem.

You're right, Jason! Arabic is different from being just another proportional script. Many characters are not typed by the same glyphs in every possible place of a word. Many characters change their shape when used as the first (initial) character, its last (final) character, or somewhere in-between. So up to three glyphs represent one character. Text processors using TT or OT font tables are able to select the proper glyph (shape) of the character. It's something like building ligatures in Latin based scripts.

(Besides this Arabic bears more computer problems with "accents" above and below and writing it, for special, festive, purposes, almost diagonally...)

--
Greetings

  Pete

I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.
                                – Douglas Adams