RE: Searching for the same text, in the same sessions but in a different

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Searching for the same text, in the same sessions but in a different window
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 08:06:46 -0800

> 4. Next I use CTRL-X 5 2 to open a new window, and in that
> window I open a different text file.

FYI -

You can use `C-x 5 f' to directly open the second file in a separate frame.

And if you want to use a separate frame by default each time you visit a buffer
(including a file) in another window, then you can customize option
`pop-up-frames' to t.

> 7. Now, if I go back to window #1 and invoke CTRL-S in the
> old window, I want to search for the new string in the old
> (#1) window too.
>
> This works fine in my Solaris emacs, but this is not the
> behavior in Linux emacs. In Linux emacs, it remembers my OLD
> search string and searches for that instead.

Sounds like a bug to me. I see nothing in NEWS about it. Please use `M-x
report-emacs-bug' to report it.