Re: conditional font faces

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: conditional font faces
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 23:10:26 +0100

On 28/02/10 03:00 AM, Tim Visher wrote:
On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Suvayu Ali<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>  wrote:
I was trying to customise the font face to make everything more
visible. Usually I use Emacs with a GUI but quite often I need to use
no-window. The default face for the minibuffer-prompt is medium blue
in no-window which makes it very difficult for me to see. I however
like the defaults when using the GUI.

Is there some way I could keep the defaults when using GUI and set it
to something more readable when using no-window?

I can't remember if it's built in or not but `C-h f emacs-type RET`.

Its not. But I found the library:
http://malsyned.net/repos/dotemacs/site-lisp/emacs-type.el

You can then key off of that like so:

     (defun emacs-is-windowed ()
       "Returns non-nil if Emacs is running in Windowed mode."
       (string-match "window" (emacs-type)))

It returns a symbol, so I had to modify it like this:

 (require 'emacs-type)
 (defun emacs-is-windowed ()
   "Returns non-nil if Emacs is running in Windowed mode."
   (string-match "window" (symbol-name (emacs-type))))

 (if (emacs-is-windowed)
     (progn (set-face-background 'default "black")
              (set-face-foreground 'default "white")))

Now should I be putting above block in a hook? Or is there a better way to implement this? If using a hook is the proper solution, which should I be using? Something like find-file-hook is definitely inappropriate as
we can easily have buffers associated with no files (my lisp abilities
are limited at best). :(

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot. That was very helpful.
--