Re: how do I visit a file in info mode?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: how do I visit a file in info mode?
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 06:17:59 +0200

> From: Bruce Korb <bruce.korb@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 17:21:55 -0800
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Here, the new code just quietly ignores the numeric prefix

??? How do you mean ``ignore''?  If I type "C-u 100 C-h i", I get a
buffer "*info*<100>" with the Info main directory.

> "non-numeric prefix" is a new feature that must have cropped up in the
> last 20 years.  :-D

It's been in Emacs since day one, actually.  Maybe you are just
unfamiliar with the term, which means "there is an argument, but it is
not a number".

> > In this case, from the doc string (`C-h k C-h i'):
> >
> > "In interactive use, a non-numeric prefix argument directs
> > this command to read a file name from the minibuffer.
> > A numeric prefix argument selects an Info buffer with the
> > prefix number appended to the Info buffer name."
>
> I know the stuff is always documented somewhere.  The problem is
> finding it.

The doc string of the command is not ``somewhere''.  It's generally
the first place to look.