Creating a new file in Emacs 23 in WINXP

From: Graham Smith
Subject: Creating a new file in Emacs 23 in WINXP
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 06:25:24 +0000

This has got to have an obvious answer, but I can't work it out.

 If I visit a new file to create a new file, I get a standard windows
explorer type dialog box that allows me to navigate to the directory
where I want to create the new file.

However, when I type in the file name for my new file, I get an error
telling me that the file cannot be found.  Which of course it cant be,
because I haven't created it yet. How do I get around this.  A search
on new file visit new file etc just yields instructions to do what I
am already trying to do.

I didn't have this problem with Emacs 22, and although it works
slightly differently I don't have this problem with Emace 23 on
Ubuntu.

I would be very grateful, if someone could point out the obvious to me.

Graham