Re: Variable in a dotted list

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Variable in a dotted list
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:24:59 +0100

Am 13.03.2010 um 16:08 schrieb Drew Adams:

But I'm probably misunderstanding the question.

You said you wanted to create a dotted list with a variable's value as cdr, but your example doesn't show that. The cdr you use is "~/.emacs.d/ Name", which you don't give as the value of a variable. The only variables mentioned are `backup-directory-alist' and `user-emacs-directory' (which is used for the car).

Right now, actually since years, I have my init file

        (setq backup-directory-alist   '(("." . "~/.emacs.d/Name")))

and I want finally to get rid of the string "~/.emacs.d/Name." I can easily create a variable from the variable user-emacs-directory and a string, but then I did not find a way that some_variable used in

        (setq backup-directory-alist   '(("." . some_variable)))

is evaluated to the proper value. I had no idea how to achieve this. The examples in your second eMail work as advertised. Thank you!

--
Greetings

  Pete

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
                                – Oscar Wilde