Re: Comments always aligned at column 67 despite comment-column set othe

From: Jeff Clough
Subject: Re: Comments always aligned at column 67 despite comment-column set otherwise
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:43:54 -0400

eric_powell <epowell1@med.miami.edu> writes:

> It seems that the plot has thickened slightly.  I discovered that my troubles
> only arise when trying to set the comment-column PAST column 67.  If I set
> it to 50, for example, the comments will appear on col. 50, but if I set it
> to anything greater than 67, the comments still appear at 67.
> Does this provide any more clues to what could be afoot?

Umm...yeah.  I wish I had seen that sooner.  Try setting fill-column to
something greater.  It's buffer local too and customizable.  I just
tested it with the values you give and it seems to fix this particular
problem.  If you set comment-column out beyond fill-column, you get the
behavior you describe.

I don't have any experience working with Emacs when you have a very wide
frame.  From what I've seen, there's more magic you need to do to make
everything work than just resizing the frame.  I could be wrong, but if
that's the case there's likely one true way to tell Emacs I want my
frame to be X characters wide and make everything work.

Sorry I didn't get that sooner for you.

Jeff