GDB Not Seeing Sources

From: Patrick M. Rutkowski
Subject: GDB Not Seeing Sources
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 03:05:40 -0400

Hi guys,

I've got an odd problem where a particular usage case of "M-x gdb"
isn't following the debugger in the source code buffers.

What I did was "M-x gdb", then I ran "attach PID" from within gdb, to
attach to my already running program. I did a "break poll" to break in
poll (it's server code), and then I did a "continue". It got to the
poll, and I did a "finish" to wait for it to get out of the poll. I
did get out of the poll, and now I'm successfully stopped from within
gdb, on the first line of code after the poll, but it's not following
along int the sources!

I can type "list" in gdb to get a source listing, but that interface
is clunky enough so as to be unusable. That is, after all, why I'm
trying to use gdb from within emacs!

Is it possible to get it to see sources after an "attach PID"? Or is
something fundamentally wrong here?

-Patrick