Re: gdb

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: gdb
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 01:27:49 -0400

> From: belnac <belnac1@googlemail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 03:24:16 +0000
>
> I've been following this particular thread with much interest and would
> like to take the opportunity to ask the experts why it is a good idea to
> run Emacs under GDB?

etc/DEBUG explains that:

    ** It is a good idea to run Emacs under GDB (or some other suitable
    debugger) *all the time*.  Then, when Emacs crashes, you will be able
    to debug the live process, not just a core dump.  (This is especially
    important on systems which don't support core files, and instead print
    just the registers and some stack addresses.)

(MS-Windows is one system that does not support core files, btw.)