Re: gdb

From: Sean Sieger
Subject: Re: gdb
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 05:32:13 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

    > From: Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com>
    > Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 18:08:55 -0400
    >
    > In etc/DEBUG, it says, ``It is a good idea to run Emacs under GDB
    > ... *all the time*.''

    It is.

    > It appears that I ought to reconfigure, this time with --no-opt and
    > -fnocrossjumping

    Yes, that's unfortunate, because latest versions of GCC (3.x and
    later) produce binaries that are very hard to debug in the optimized
    build.

    > that I'll then start starting Emacs in src/ (which
    > means I don't really need to make install?)

    Not true.  You need to start GDB in the src/ directory.  Then you can
    say "run /path/to/emacs/emacs.exe".

    > and, finally, um, I won't be
    > using the shortcut to start GDB & Emacs (or can the command be entered
    > there to do so?).

    You can have the shortcut run a batch file that would invoke GDB and
    run Emacs inside it.  You can have a .gdbinit file that does some of
    that.  And there are many other options.

Thanks for your time, Eli; I'll work on it today.