Re: Using ergonomic shortcuts and cua mode

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Using ergonomic shortcuts and cua mode
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 02:18:53 +0200

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Markus Haider <markus.haider@uibk.ac.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use Emacs 23 with the ergonomic shortcuts
> http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_emacs_keybinding.html
> However, when I also use cua-mode at the same time, M-v gets bound to
> cua-repeat-replace-region. Is there a way to keep M-v bound to yank?
>
> One possible solution would be to work without cua-mode, and I could
> manually define the shortcuts C-c, C-v, C-x. However I cannot change C-x
> via global-set-key as it is a prefix. I would not mind to move the
> Control-X-prefix to another key, but I don't know how to do it...

I think you can undefine M-v in the cua keymap where it is defined, like this:

(define-key cua--cua-keys-keymap [(meta ?v)] nil)

Tip: In nXhtml there is a modified version of the normal "C-h c" help
that shows the key binding + the key map where it is bound. This
latter is a guess, but most of the time it is correct. I bind this
command to "f1 c":

  <f1> c runs the command describe-key-and-map-briefly, which is an
  interactive compiled Lisp function in `ourcomments-util.el'.