Re: Font Interaction

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Font Interaction
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:19:42 +0300

> From: pocmatos@gmail.com (Paulo J. Matos)
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 08:07:32 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>

> > In addition to setting up PuTTY (in the Translation page) to use
> > UTF-8, you need to tell Emacs that this is what the terminal supports,
> > like this:
> >
> >    C-x RET t utf-8 RET
> >
> > That's all!  You don't need to set up fonts in Emacs, because,
> > obviously, fonts are not used by Emacs for displaying TTY frames.  I
> > don't know about GnomeShell, but I would guess you don't need to
> > configure its font, either.
> >

> Unfortunately, after setting Putty and emacs 23.1 to utf-8 my emacs gets
> completely screwed up. Check this out:
> http://twitpic.com/1hp3os
>
> Is this, somehow, to be expected?

No, of course not.  The above recipe is what I use, and it "works for
me".

Can you describe what exactly did you do to "set Putty and emacs 23.1
to utf-8", on the Unix side, in Emacs, and on Windows with PuTTY?

Also, do you see the same problems if you start with "emacs -Q", then
set PuTTY to UTF-8, and type "C-x RET t utf-8 RET"?