Re: Suddenly, grep, list-buffers etc. split the screen horizontally...

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Suddenly, grep, list-buffers etc. split the screen horizontally... but .emacs is unchanged!
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:42:54 -0000

Tom Ritchford wrote:
> Suddenly, in the middle of a long emacs session (it had been up for
> over a week) my terminal-based emacs -nw now splits horizontally for
> every new window (grep, compilation, list-buffers, etc).  I've used
> emacs for over 25 years and never gotten into this state.

What's the size of the terminal Emacs is running in? Did you change it?
display-buffer (the function usually responsible for splitting buffers to show
output etc.) may split the window horizontally or vertically, depending on the
size of the window. See the documentation for split-window-sensibly for details.

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)