Re: Comment lines and matching parentheses

From: dnquark
Subject: Re: Comment lines and matching parentheses
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:42:50 -0000

> > Is there a way to make emacs ignore all parentheses that are parts of
> > comments?..  This behavior sometimes breaks hs-minor-mode's ability to
> > fold code in buffers.
>
> No, there isn't.  A paren in a comment will only balance a matching one
> in the same comment.  If you're able and willing to change the source
> code, you could rewrite the first example as:
>   /* (
>      ) */
> .
>
> But it sounds more like there's a bug in hs-minor-mode, which you might
> "want" to report.

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I was basing my definition of
"mismatched parentheses" on whether or not the closing paren resulted
in "mismatched parentheses" message in the echo area.  Despite this
message, check-parens ignores comments, as it should.

The problem indeed appears to be a bug in hs-minor-mode.  It doesn't
handle well the case where commented parens appear on a line that
starts with regular code, e.g.
foo ## (
     ## )
In this case, hs-hide-all results in "scan error: unbalanced
parentheses".  If the lines start with comments, it runs fine (I
believe hs-hide-all handles such lines differently in the first
place).  Looking at the code for hideshow.el, it looks like it simply
searches for open parens using re-search-forward, and doesn't ignore
comments...