Re: Failing to see the allure of Emacs

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Failing to see the allure of Emacs
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:43:19 -0000

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

>>> Huh?  Check out the manuals in the "Help" menu.
>>
>> Not complete,
>
> Huh?
>
>> not up to date,
>
> Huh???
>
>> and not readily usable.
>
> Huh?????
>
>> Readily usable documentation would include complete reference
>> information for every function, variable, and macro bundled with emacs
>> at every release.
>
> Have you tried the i command in the Elisp manual?
>
>> It would provide some way better than string search to look for
>> related concepts.
>
> The concept index, maybe?
>
>> That kind of thing is real work.  I'd be pretty happy with just
>> complete and up to date.
>
> It does a rather good job IMO.

I agree with David. The documentation side of emacs is pretty darn good
- possibly the best of any open source project I've seen.

Given the OPs crits, I wonder if their install is missing the elisp
reference manual? Sounds to me like they have found the emacs reference
manual, but have missed the elisp manual.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au