Re: Generic Interface to Ignoring Files in VC

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Generic Interface to Ignoring Files in VC
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:43:30 -0000

Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> writes:

> Has anybody extended vc to provide a generic interface to ignoring
> file(s) either using a specific file or using a glob matcher?
>
> The simplest implementation I can think simply cases on vc-backend()
> and vc-state() and then either add it to the .vc-name-ignore file or
> ignore it through a shell command. I only know about git and it uses a
> file named .gitignore . The only bother I can think of is if several
> parental directories contain the .gitignore file. I guess the bottom-
> most directory wins in this case right?
>
> If I want to write one in a way compatible with the way vc handles
> different backends where would I start?

Just wondering if this is the right abstraction level to address this
issue?

When you consider that the VC stuff works by using the underlying
version control client programs and each of these clients has their own
way to handle this, does adding this level of functionality bring us
anything other than additional code complexity duplicating functionality
already provided by the clients?

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au