Re: Since AUCTeX installation, Gnus won't post on any Usenet group

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: Since AUCTeX installation, Gnus won't post on any Usenet group
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:45:11 -0000

* Merciadri Luca (2010-04-18) writes:

> The only thing I have changed in my whole Emacs & Gnus config. is that
> I installed, some days ago, AUCTeX. Everything went right, and, even
> the installation's day, Gnus accepted to send articles on Usenet. Now,
> it won't do anything like that. Why? I changed nothing.
>
> Here is what I appended to my .emacs after having installed AUCTeX
> with preview-latex. (I have also tried by removing these lines from
> the .emacs, which does not change Gnus' behaviour.)
>
> ==
> (setq load-path (cons "~/auctex-11.86/" load-path))
> (setq load-path (cons "~/auctex-11.86/preview/" load-path))
>
> (load "~/auctex-11.86/auctex.el" nil t t)
> (load "~/auctex-11.86/preview/preview-latex.el" nil t t)
> ==

It should not be necessary to add the `preview' subdirectory to
`load-path' if you installed AUCTeX correctly.  Since preview-latex.el
is still in the `preview' subdirectory, I presume you did not run `make
install' as described in the installation instructions of AUCTeX.  If
you ignore something like that, you have to be prepared that things go
wrong.

I'd try to disable the lines in your init file you've shown above, then
restart Emacs and check if the problem is gone.  If not, start Emacs
with the --debug-init command line switch in order to check if there is
something else in your init file leading to an error.

--
Ralf