Re: Since AUCTeX installation, Gnus won't post on any Usenet group

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Since AUCTeX installation, Gnus won't post on any Usenet group
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:45:18 -0000

Merciadri Luca <merciadriluca@gmail.com> writes:

> On Apr 18, 8:54 pm, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Merciadri Luca <merciadril...@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > I did what was necessary: ./configure, make, make install. I just
>> > added these directories because I thought they were necessary.
>>
>> That sounds like you added the compilation directories of AUCTeX to the
>> load path, a really bad idea.  And that you manually loaded the AUCTeX
>> files from the uninstalled files in the compilation directories.  Also a
>> really bad idea.  Is there a reason you don't follow the installation
>> instructions?
> I do not remember, but I think that these info were put somewhere in a
> README! I found them weird, but executed!

Any idea where you found that?

> But, anyway, even without these lines, the Gnus problem still arises,
> where it had never happened before.

I doubt it is related to AUCTeX.

>> I don't think that is the case. You could try
>>
>> M-x list-load-path-shadows RET
>>
>> in order to see whether you borked your installation with duplicate
>> files.
> Here is the output:
> ==
> /usr/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/
> site-lisp/debian-startup
> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/
> share/emacs/22.2/lisp/textmodes/ispell
> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/
> share/emacs/22.2/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/latex-cjk-thai/thai-word hides /usr/share/
> emacs/22.2/lisp/language/thai-word
>
> 4 Emacs Lisp load-path shadowings were found
> ==
> 'Seems not to have messed anything, doesn't it?

That's a Debian installation.  They are messed up by default.  You might
want to check the difference in those shadowings and try guessing
whether they could have an influence.

However, they are not related to AUCTeX installations.  If AUCTeX made
any changes, they are likely to site-init.el or site-start.el in some
place.  But I'd be surprised.

--
David Kastrup