Re: How let speedbar know to parse a specific file?

From: Lowell Gilbert
Subject: Re: How let speedbar know to parse a specific file?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 13:49:39 -0400

"Daniel (Youngwhan)" <breadncup@gmail.com> writes:

> I am not familiar with Lisp language, so could you help me how I can
> set up for the major mode properly, please?

After further investigation, it turns out that is not sufficient.

> I tried to open it as GNUMakefile mode by adding this in .emacs: (add-
> to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\Makefile-other\\'" . makefile-gmake-
> mode))

That will set the major-mode, which you will want after you open up the
file, but apparently doesn't help speedbar.

This syntax is slightly better than the one you're using:
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("[Mm]akefile-other\\'" . makefile-gmake-mode))

> But, for speedbar, it still does not parse of it. (or even directory
> view, it does not show up the Makefile-other as well.

You need to set a variable called speedbar-add-supported-extension.  But
it isn't initialized until you load speedbar mode, so put this in your
.emacs:

(add-hook 'speedbar-load-hook
            '(lambda () (speedbar-add-supported-extension
"[Mm]akefile-other\\'")))

Good luck.