Re: Mac - X11 - emacs - meta - alt key

From: JF Mezei
Subject: Re: Mac - X11 - emacs - meta - alt key
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:42:27 -0000

David Rogoff wrote:

> I'm still getting used to my Mac and have a strange problem with emacs.
>  When running Aquamacs on the Mac itself, the Alt/Option key is meta,
> which is what I expect.  However, I'm also remote accessing a Linux box
> via X11/NXClient.  When I run emacs (or xemacs) on in Linux, it looks
> like X11 has remapped the Mac Command key to be meta.  How do I put
> this back?

On Linux (and on the mac) there is a utility called "xev"  (x events).

You can test to see what event each key combination generates.

xmodmap is the utility you would use on the Mac to remap your keyboard.

For instance:

cat ~/.xmodmap
keycode 79  = KP_F1
keycode 89  = KP_F1
keycode 83  = KP_F3
keycode 75  = KP_F4
keycode 113 = Help
keycode 115 = Menu
keycode 125 = DRemove
keycode 113 = Insert
keycode 127 = Select
keycode 123 = Find
keycode 59 = Delete
keycode 111 = F11 F11 F11 F11
keycode 114 = F16 F16 F16 F16
keycode 72 = F17 F17 F17 F17
keycode 87 = F18 F18 F18 F18
keycode 88 = F19 F19 F19 F19

and you use xmodmap .xmodmap to load that new keymapping.  YOu need to
hunt a bit to find the modifier names.  The last 4 lines map 4 different
combinations of the keys (I think shift, control,meta and some other).