Rmail, Babyl, mbox, emacs 23

From: Lewis Perin
Subject: Rmail, Babyl, mbox, emacs 23
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:42:39 -0000

My ISP just upgraded emacs to 23.1.1.  I was alarmed when it couldn't
parse my 22-level Babyl rmail file, but I soon learned that running M-x
unrmail would fix that.

Now, though, I face the problem of what happens when I run M-x
rmail-input against an email archive (also Babyl) created under an
earlier version of emacs.  23.1.1's Rmail doesn't parse the archive any
better than it parsed the Babyl version of ~/RMAIL; it gives up with the
error message "Removing old name: no such file or directory,
/tmp/rmail17713j4x".

When I run unrmail against an archive, that doesn't work either; it
blows up with "Symbol's value as variable is void: rmail-highlight-face".

Has anyone got a suggestion for overcoming this?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin / perin@acm.org