Re: Failing to see the allure of Emacs

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: Failing to see the allure of Emacs
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:43:06 -0000

Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:

> When I work, my workspace is basically:
>
> - ratpoison,
> - an xterm with screen for remote computers,
> - three of four emacs instances with several frame each.
> - one Firefox frame,
> - one acrobat reader or xpdf for pdf docs.

My workspace, on the other hand, has tons of GUI windows: web browsers, word,
excel, pdf viewers, dvi viewers etc etc.

But none of that detracts from the power of Emacs, because Emacs is what you
use when you want to type and edit (e.g., shells), navigate quickly (e.g.,
dired), search in big pieces of text (e.g., mail tools - VM is my favourite) or
use some commands and switch back to editing (e.g., compilers, version control
tools, latex etc.)

If you have frequently occurring sequences that you can automate, then that
would be a big win.

Cheers,
Uday