Re: Since AUCTeX installation, Gnus won't post on any Usenet group

From: Merciadri Luca
Subject: Re: Since AUCTeX installation, Gnus won't post on any Usenet group
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:45:13 -0000

On Apr 18, 8:54 pm, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
> Merciadri Luca <merciadril...@gmail.com> writes:

> >> It should not be necessary to add the `preview' subdirectory to
> >> `load-path' if you installed AUCTeX correctly.  Since preview-latex.el
> >> is still in the `preview' subdirectory, I presume you did not run `make
> >> install' as described in the installation instructions of AUCTeX.
> > I did what was necessary: ./configure, make, make install. I just
> > added these directories because I thought they were necessary.
>
> That sounds like you added the compilation directories of AUCTeX to the
> load path, a really bad idea.  And that you manually loaded the AUCTeX
> files from the uninstalled files in the compilation directories.  Also a
> really bad idea.  Is there a reason you don't follow the installation
> instructions?
I do not remember, but I think that these info were put somewhere in a
README! I found them weird, but executed!

But, anyway, even without these lines, the Gnus problem still arises,
where it had never happened before.

> > Actually, I think that AUCTeX is redefining some commands and
> > shortcuts that are also used in Gnus. How could I modify the AUCTeX's
> > shortcuts?
>
> I don't think that is the case. You could try
>
> M-x list-load-path-shadows RET
>
> in order to see whether you borked your installation with duplicate
> files.
Here is the output:
==
/usr/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/
site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/
share/emacs/22.2/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/
share/emacs/22.2/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/latex-cjk-thai/thai-word hides /usr/share/
emacs/22.2/lisp/language/thai-word

4 Emacs Lisp load-path shadowings were found
==
'Seems not to have messed anything, doesn't it?