Re: Sloppy Directory Completion

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Sloppy Directory Completion
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 10:53:21 -0400

>> > Why doesn't Emacs complete on directories only in for example dired
>> > (C-x d)?
>> > Is this a bug or a todo?
>> I think it's a bug.
> Many times I do completion on something like "*use*" just to find the
> group of files I want see and than use something like "bsw2-use*subgroup"
> as the actual argument to `dired'.
[...]
> May be completion of directory names ONLY should be an option, but
> I disagree strongly that it be the default completion.

The way I see it, completion for dired should work as follows:
if we can complete to a set of directories, then only complete to
those directories, but if there is no directory to which to complete,
then complete against files.
So in your above example, it would work as you want at the condition
that there is no directory which matches "*use*".

        Stefan