Re: buffer management in emacs

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: buffer management in emacs
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 02:52:32 -0700 (PDT)

On May 5, 6:51 am, Tyler Smith <tyler.sm...@eku.edu> wrote:
> Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> writes:
> > The emacs buffer management problem really has to do with emacs's lack
> > of closing file command. There's kill-file, but it requires you to
> > confirm, even a saved file. Plus, there's no keyboard shortcut for it.
> > So, this tends to get people to leave behind lots of opened files.
>
> Isn't 'C-x k' (kill-buffer) basically a file closing command? It doesn't
> require confirmation for files that are already saved, and the file that
> the buffer was visiting is then removed from the buffer list. Or am I
> misunderstanding what you mean by 'close file'.
>
> Also, I can't find kill-file on my emacs (GNU Emacs 24.0.50.2), did you
> mean kill-buffer to begin with?
>
> Tyler

sorry, been sloppy.

yes i meant kill-buffer (shortcut C-x k)

when you call kill-buffer, it prompts you, even for a saved file. More
specifically, it prompts you which buffer you want to kill. It does
not simply close the current buffer.

the other problem is that when you kill a buffer not asociated with a
file, even if it is not saved, has content, it'll simply kill it after
you give the buffer name, but not prompting you whether to save it.

the link i gave in my previous post does give detail about these.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/