Re: is insert(backspace and overwrite character) possible?

From: Merciadri Luca
Subject: Re: is insert(backspace and overwrite character) possible?
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 14:20:42 +0200

Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:

> Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:
>
>> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>>
>>> You can't do it just with insert, and I don't know how you would do it
>>> in C, either.  You need to write a conditional, like
>>>
>>> (if (looking-at "- ")
>>>     (delete-char 2))
>>>
>>> before doing the insert.
>>
>> Thanks. I do not remember for the C, but I am pretty sure that I had
>> already used it (in the past).
>
> You are probably thinking of carriage return.
>
>     printf("foo\rbar\n");
>
> will print 'bar'.
>
> Anyway, we can create a overwriting `insert' variant.
>
> (defun insert-overwrite (&rest args)
>   (let ((pos (point)))
>     (apply 'insert args)
>     (delete-region (point) (min (point-at-eol)
>                                 (+ (point)
>                                    (- (point) pos))))))
>
> But my guess is, that you actually want something like this.
>
> (defun replace-line (&rest args)
>   (delete-region (point-at-bol) (point-at-eol))
>   (apply 'insert args))
Thanks. Actually, it could do the trick. As you might see in my
signature, the delimiters are not standard: I am having `- --' at the
place of `--'. This should be due to many facts in my .gnus:

* I have set
==
(setq gnus-signature-separator '("^--$"))
==

* I have defined a command which adds a quirk like this:

==
(defun psig ()
  "Insert the signature for a personal posting on a newsgroup, including a
saying."
  (interactive)
  (goto-char (point-max))
  (or (= (char-after (- (point) 1)) ?\n)
      (newline 1))
  (insert "-- \n")
  (let ((saying ""))
    (save-window-excursion
      (find-file "~/Sayings")
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (search-forward "#")
      (delete-char -1)
      (setq fill-prefix nil)
      (mark-paragraph)
      (setq saying (buffer-substring (region-beginning) (region-end)))
      (exchange-point-and-mark)
      (if (eobp) (goto-char (1+ (point-min))))
      ;(insert "#")
      (save-buffer))
    (insert saying)
    ))
==

* I am using Mailcrypt (but I do not want to change).

Do you have any idea of what could be causing this problematic
signature?

Thanks.

- --
Merciadri Luca