Re: how to enable syntax highlighting for some shell script files?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: how to enable syntax highlighting for some shell script files?
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 10:29:44 +1000

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> xiaweitang <jadelightking@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> My emacs does syntax highlighting for C++, latex files, and also .Xdefaults,
>> .xinitrc and so on. However, it doesn't do for other files like .inputrc and
>> /etc/conf.d/local.start.
>
> Syntax highlighting is determined by what "major mode" emacs chooses
> when it visits the file. For shell scripts starting with an interpreter
> declaration like #!/bin/bash, emacs knows which major mode to use. For
> random configuration files that are in no particular language, you might
> want to use conf-mode.
>
> To tell emacs what mode you want it to use for a particular file, you
> could do either of the following:
>
> 1. Place a special comment in the file telling emacs what major mode to use.
>    See the emacs manual:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Specifying-File-Variables.html#Specifying-File-Variables
>
>    or use info (place cursor after last parenthesis and press C-x C-e):
>    (info "Emacs(Specifying File Variables)")
>
> 2. Configure the variable auto-mode-alist. For example, you could do this
>    (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.inputrc\\'" . conf-mode))
>
> Dan
>
>> My local.start file :
>>
>> # This is a good place to load any misc programs
>> # on startup (use &>/dev/null to hide output)
>>
>> # disable wlan0 LED blinking
>> echo phy0assoc > `find /sys/devices/ -name iwl-phy0::assoc`/trigger
>> &>/dev/null
>>
>> # from http://my.opera.com/xliot/blog/
>> if ! test -p /lib/splash/cache/.splash; then
>> rm /lib/splash/cache/.splash &>/dev/null
>> mkfifo /lib/splash/cache/.splash
>> fi

In addition to what Dan wrote, there is also generic and generic-x
modes. These modes are, as the anme would suggest generic font locking
modes. They will add basic font locking to a number of common
configuration style files.  I have the following in my .emacs file

(require 'generic)
(require 'generic-x)

Tim

--