Re: Ctrl-x Ctrl-x (exchange-point-and-mark)

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: Ctrl-x Ctrl-x (exchange-point-and-mark)
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 10:06:17 -0400

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Ever since the new highlight defaults come into effect.
>
> Although C-g would be a close second.  Some how I never thought of
> C-g.  I use it dozens of times a day to stop all kinds of things,
> just never occurred to me to use it for this purpose (loosing the
> hightlight).  It might grow on me.

Am I understanding correctly that what you're trying to accomplish is
to not have the current region highlighted when you C-x C-x?

If that's the case, why not just `M-x customize-variable
transient-mark-mode`?  I didn't like the highlighting of the region so
I prefer turning tranient mark mode on manually (`C-SPC C-SPC`) if I
want it (almost never) rather than having it on all the time.

Another option that would avoid transient-mark-mode would be to use
pop-global-mark with `C-u C-SPC` instead of `C-x C-x` which doesn't
leave the mark active, if your only goal is to return to a previous
location and forget about the current location.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://burningones.com/