font-lock-add-keywords turning off font-lock-mode

From: Nathaniel Flath
Subject: font-lock-add-keywords turning off font-lock-mode
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 10:50:42 -0400

Hello,
I have a piece of lisp in my configuration:

(add-hook 'java-mode-hook
  (lambda ()
   (font-lock-add-keywords nil
    '(("\\<\\(FIXME\\):" 1 font-lock-warning-face prepend)))))

When this is run, font-lock mode is turned off whenever I open a java file.  Turning font-lock-mode back on works, sans the highlighting of FIXME.  Executing the body of the lambda in a buffer works fine.  Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks,
Nathaniel Flath